Skip to main content

Welcome Doaa Shay! A disability advocate, wheelchair speaker, YouTuber, make-up artist, and former wheelchair splinter! She is the newest member our family!

Author note: The images in this interview were made using canva.com

Doaa's Interview:




Introduction: 
Hello Abler Family! Please help me welcome Doaa Shay! Former wheelchair splinter turned, wheelchair speaker, disability advocate, make-up artist. Connect with Doaa on social media here: 



Instagram @ Doaa. Shayea

SnapChat Doaa Shayea01 




*Can you please share more of your back story in more details with our readers?



*What is your personal opinion on ableism when it comes to talking about the disability community?



*What is your biggest “pet peeve” when it comes to people’s reaction to your wheelchair and your disability, of spina bifida?


*What would you say to someone who says disabled people are just “lazy”, and “attention seekers”?


*What would you like to see improve greatly among the disability community?


*If you could make changes to the 30-year ADA Bill what would it be and why?


*Have you ever considered combining your skills for beauty, and vlogging to raise more awareness globally? If yes, what are your top 3 ideas?



*With the way we can connect with other disability communities, advocates on social media who are some of your favorites that you follow for guidance and advice?


*How would you describe the disability representation in society today?


* When you first began speaking publicly on disability issues, what advice were you given that helped you navigate through it, and help you adjust to your new position within the community?



* Do you think labels are important and are as important in the disability community as society would like you to believe?


*Reflecting on your personal journey, how would you describe it?


* Aside from your vlogging, do you have any projects in the works right now that will help bring more awareness to our community?



*What final message would you like to leave our readers with?






Outro:

Thank you Doaa for sharing your story and experiences with us. We appreciate you! Welcome to The Abler Family!




Image made with Canva.com
******************* Doaa's responses****************************************************************


BACKSTORY-
I was born with Spina bifida is when a baby's spine and spinal  cord don't develop properly in the womb, causing a gap in the spine. Spina bifida
I spent my childhood on crutches. When I was 12 I got into a wheelchair after really thinking about it knowing it will benefit my life in the long run but this was a very difficult decision for me to come to terms with and tried to avoid it until I finally just got on with life in a wheelchair. I had to really reevaluate my life now that I was in a wheelchair - I didn't want that one thing that, made me feel "normal" to be taken away from me because it was my only part of normality.

The assumption that differently abled people need to be ‘fixed’ or 'disabled/fraigile/incapable' is wrong & unfair which limits beliefs about what disability /differently able is.  Able-bodied people learn to treat us in an incorrect  way due to what they are taught about a different ability which the majority of the time is incorrect & leaves us often not being included at the table for key decisions or anything for that matter.

biggest “pet peeve” - That it must be extremely diffcult for me to live life & do chores and that their heart goes out to me all that pity and sympathy making me feel so weak and useless & a huge burden - that really boils my blood
would i say to someone who says disabled people are just “lazy”, and “attention seekers” - I'd say try fitting into & making a world that is far from made for you work even a little too you so that you can live even half of a decent life.Then come tell me how lazy & attention seeking we are.
What I'd like to see improve greatly among the disability community - that we start being seen for who we really are which is incredible, hardworking and extremely creative and adaptable who are worthy of opportunities in life like any other human being and nothing less than that

I wouldn't make any changes to the 30-year ADA Bill the only thing I want is that employers/businesses etc to actually stick to what the law says & to not just ignore it and not accommodate for us. Which they always seem to have other reasons that don't make them look like they are discriminating which is all they're doing.

I have  combined my makeup skills with creating a cracked face with cruel words that have been said to me thought my life because of my disability and i have my own YouTube  channel to raise more awareness globally I think going on social media on a huge platform like YouTube is the best and most effective way to reach as many people in the world as possible I just need to get big with the views and subscribers to help me reach that global level Haha

some of my favorites that i follow for guidance and advice umm...am I allowed to say myself? Haha
disability representation in society today, I feel we are massively underrepresented in the media I feel that it doesn't add much diversity and showing of different abilities etc. We are always shown in a negative and weak perspective. Iy is a lot better now, don't get me wrong but I think we still have an extremely long way to go and I want to do my part in showing that we are exactly the opposite of how the media portrays us

When I first began speaking publicly on disability issues,  which is literally only this year, I wouldn't say I was given any advice that helped me navigate through it, and helped me adjust to my new position within the community because no one knows it better than I do. It's my life, it's what I've grown up in. what I've been through and experienced as  a woman in a wheelchair. I feel like that is not something anyone can guide you on apart from life and living it EVERY SINGLE DAY. I know what I appreciate in life and what I dont appreciate  and if what I don't appreciate is due to how people view disability, that is why i have dedicated what I do, to make that change
Nope, labels are nothing to me. And I feel they should neither be important to anyone else especially in the disability community even if society wants us to believe labels I think they all they do is cause huge damage
My personal journey, I would describe it as raw, painful & empowering from where i started and what I went through to where I am now.

Aside from YouTube, I  wouldn't say I have any projects in the works right now as youtube is extremely hard work there is so much to learn which is actually really overwhelming when I think about it. There is so much that goes into it and only years of experience will help me and even then, YouTube is always changing and I've only been on it for a couple of months  but I definitely want to do more for my community and getting involved with as many things to help make change & spread awarenes off of youtube as well as just on it that will help bring more awareness to our community
Last message I want to give to readers, don't let the disabling views disable you



Doaa is also our special mention of the month for April! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Silent Migraine: One Of Several Different Types Of Headaches/Migraines. Can You Or Someone You Know Relate?

Silent Migraine Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional of any kind. The following information was found at the follow sites. National Headache Foundation, Migraines.com, Allaboutvision.com, Pinterest, and Verywell.com. If you or someone you know, is believed to be having any of the following symptoms please, consult with your doctor ASAP. I also strongly discourage self-diagnosing. When I first launched the abler, i asked people what subjects/topics they'd like to see me cover and one of the first ones was migraines. And as you can imagine, several terms and types came up in my search.One of them being silent migraine. While doing my research, I came a list of different types of headaches and mi

New Monthly Topic For April Dwarfism

April’s Topic For The Abler Blog: Dwarfism Resource: Mayoclinic.org Author Note: I am in no a professional of any kind. I am strongly against self-diagnosis, and encourage my audience to please seek the professional advice of their own trusted medical professional and any other trusted professional depending on the topic at hand. The Abler Blog ONLY PROVIDES LIMITED GENERAL INFORMATION, and ALWAYS CITES WHERE THEY FIND THEIR RESOURCES AND OR INFORMATION. Jessica Niziolek, Founder Of The Abler Blog, and online community. What is dwarfism? It means to be short in stature. Typically the average height for someone with this condition is: four feet, ten inches or less. Because there are several different health conditions that are link to dwarfism so this condition is broken down into 2 catogories. Disproportionate dwarfism. If body size is disproportionate, some parts of the body are small, and others are of average size or above-average size. Disorders causing disproportio

Interview with Rapper TW1TCH: Recovering addict, and advocate wants you to know we do overcome

"My doctor was my first Dealer." TW1TCH Authors Note: Addiction is one powerful battle. that being said, not everyone will become addicts because of pain pills. Some do not have a choice when taking them. Everyone is different, and struggle with different things in life. Whatever it is you can get to the other side of it. If you're struggling please don't be ashamed or afraid to reach out. We are not perfect; we are human. And it is more than okay to ask for help if you are in need of it. Founder, Jessica  Buffalo Native Stephen Fogarty, A.K.A TW1TCH, Recovering Opioid addict. L8 Productions/ The indie Visuals/ Hip-hop artist with a message that you can come out of the other side of addiction. Traveling across the country to you get the message of recovery out. He has performed at Buffalo at Music Of Art. Twitch recently celebrated 3 years of sobriety, and for him, making music reminds him that people are listening and that he is not alone in his journey