Skip to main content

Meet Zecky Langner, Painting His Dreams Into Reality. One Paint Stroke At A Time

The following interview Is based on one of the paid services The Abler Blog Offers. If you're interested in find out more details please contact the founder, Jessica Niziolek




Graphic made with canva.com. The art work featured in the graphics are the personal property of the artist Zecky Langner. 



“All children are artists. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up.”
Palblo picasso

.

I hope the following interview inspires everyone to follow their dreams in spite of the obstacles they may face in life. Because the very talented artist by the name of Zecky Langner is proof that if you have a dream, and the willpower and determination to chase after them then anything in life is possible.

Question one: Please introduce yourself, and if you don’t mind please explain what your disability is, and how it affects you physically?

“Well, my name is Zecky. I’m 28 years old and was born with a disability called Arthrogryposis Multiplex Congenita: Amyoplasia. Due to this, my hands and arms don’t work at all. My arms are fused in an L shape and my legs do not fully straighten nor can they bend. I use my mouth and feet for everything. And things that I cannot do on my own my fiancée (also my caregiver) helps with. I require help dressing, bathing, and reaching anything that is above my mouth’s height. I cannot walk for more than a minute or two before I feel completely exasperated and need to sit down. So most of the time I use my push wheelchair. Despite my disability though, I have trained myself to be very strong. I can pick up around 200 pounds with my mouth, and leg press around 300 pounds.”

Question two: When did you first start showing an interest in the arts, when did you decide to peruse it as a career for yourself? “ well, I was so little that I can’t really remember the exact age. But pretty much ever since I could pick up a pen in my mouth or in my foot I was drawing. I remember one of my favorite TV shows growing up was blues clues all because he would draw in his little notebook. I the kind of kid where instead of asking for toys, I would always ask for paper and pen or art supplies. I would draw any chance I got. It wasn’t until I was about 10 or 11 years old that I started drawing for people other than myself or family. I sold my first piece of work when I was 12.”

Question three: What message do you hope to say with your art? 
“Strangely one of my pet peeve’s used to be that I felt sometimes people are only drawn to my art because of how I do it. Either drawing with my mouth or my feet. Sometimes I just wished that they would admire the art regardless of how I drew it or created it. But now I realize that there people out there that truly get inspired by my art. That maybe they love or just as much as I do but don’t want to attempt it because they’re scared that they might fail. I can’t tell you how many things I have tried and failed at in my life. But there’s also things that I’ve tried and succeeded when I never thought I could. So my message to anyone with physical or mental disabilities is that you never know what you can and can’t do unless you try. And sometimes if you can’t do something the way normal people do it, you have to find your own way to do it and work it.”

Question four: I noticed that you go by the name of Angel Bird Art on social media, is there any significant to that name? What is the story behind that?
“Yes there is. My mother’s nickname for me was always her Angel Bird. Most people get called sweetie, honey, baby, things like that. But I was always Angel Bird. And I think the significance behind that nickname is that no matter what tasks I had before me, I would always try to overcome them. Like a bird taking flight flying over all of their problems. And she always told me that I was the wind beneath her wings. She always dedicated that song to me. Wind Beneath My Wings by Bette Midler. So I thought that Angel Bird Art was very personal and meaningful to me.”

Question five: What would you say inspires you? What is the main inspiration behind your art?
“I honestly don’t even know what inspires my art. Other than I see or think about something I want to draw or create and it just clicks. It’s more like art is part of me and if I go too long without doing something artsy, I get really antsy and unfulfilled feeling. One of my first inspirations though was always to prove myself to my father because he wasn’t incredibly loving or accepting. But now I do it because it makes me happy and inspires others. So I guess you could say it’s more of a therapy and a pleasure.”

Question six: what are the top 3 lessons you have learned about yourself as an artist?
“1: You can always improve and learn. No matter how good you are there is always room for improvement.
2: Art is therapy and incredibly good for the soul. It’s an amazing way to express yourself without any words.
3: I have learned of that no matter what kind of challenges or obstacles you face, there’s always ways for you to do things as well. It might be weird or look funny, but if it helps you do something you love, do it!”

Question seven: Do you find it hard to be taken seriously as an artist because you have a disability? 
“Sometimes yes and sometimes no. As I said before, I sometimes feel like people look at the disability more than they look at the art. Whether I am disabled or not, I believe my art is very nice regardless of how it was made. And it’s also hard because how I physically look makes some people think that it affects me mentally too when it does not. Just because someone is in a wheelchair or their body looks different, does not mean you should automatically assume it affects them mentally as well.”

Question eight: What is the one thing you would like people to know about you, not just as an artist, but also as a person?
“I would like people to know that I am a person just like you. I’m just in a broken body. It doesn’t mean I want you to feel bad for me. I don’t need pity. I’m just trying to get by like everyone else.”

Question nine: What 3 words would you use to describe your art/style as an artist? 
“Realistic, horror, macabre.”

Question ten: What message would you like your art to say to the world and why that particular message?
“I’m here doing what I love! I was told that I should get into other things that would pay more money. But art always stuck with me. It’s always been a part of me. If there’s no art, there’s no me.” So I want my message to be that you can see the love, time, and creativity I put into my work.”

Question eleven: Not everyone can be creative all the time, what do you do when you find yourself “stuck”? What do you to help yourself out of your artistic slump?
“I do other things that I love and it usually triggers the art block to disappear. I watch my favorite movies (mainly horror), listen to music because that’s another HUGE part of me, even looking at other people’s art for inspiration.”

Question twelve: What advice would you give another artist who also has a disability?
“Do what makes you happy. Don’t let other people mold you into something you’re not. Push yourself and get out there!”

Question thirteen: Who are some artists that inspire you, and why do those artists inspire you?
“Mark Ryden because he has a macabre style that you don’t see very much. Norman Rockwell because he was the first artist I recognized as a child. And Howard David Johnson, his style is beautiful.

Question fourteen:
What do you hope society learns from and or takes away from the many disability communities overall?
“That we are people just with different needs. So I hope that more avenues and support open up for people like us.”

Question fifteen:  Where can people find you online and connect with you to find out more about you and your amazing art!?

Art Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/zeckys_angel_bird_art/
Personal Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/zeckyriers/
Email: ZufoTheClown@outlook.com



Graphic made with Canva.com The art featured in these graphics are the personal property of Zecky Langner.

I would personally like to thank Zecky for being so fearless in sharing such beautiful art with the world. Zecky is the perfect example of what expressing yourself unapologetically, and sharing your gifts with the world so boldly. Thank you Zecky, I am honored to show off such beautiful talent on my platform. Welcome to the Abler family!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Silent Migraine: One Of Several Different Types Of Headaches/Migraines. Can You Or Someone You Know Relate?

Silent Migraine Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional of any kind. The following information was found at the follow sites. National Headache Foundation, Migraines.com, Allaboutvision.com, Pinterest, and Verywell.com. If you or someone you know, is believed to be having any of the following symptoms please, consult with your doctor ASAP. I also strongly discourage self-diagnosing. When I first launched the abler, i asked people what subjects/topics they'd like to see me cover and one of the first ones was migraines. And as you can imagine, several terms and types came up in my search.One of them being silent migraine. While doing my research, I came a list of different types of headaches and mi

New Monthly Topic For April Dwarfism

April’s Topic For The Abler Blog: Dwarfism Resource: Mayoclinic.org Author Note: I am in no a professional of any kind. I am strongly against self-diagnosis, and encourage my audience to please seek the professional advice of their own trusted medical professional and any other trusted professional depending on the topic at hand. The Abler Blog ONLY PROVIDES LIMITED GENERAL INFORMATION, and ALWAYS CITES WHERE THEY FIND THEIR RESOURCES AND OR INFORMATION. Jessica Niziolek, Founder Of The Abler Blog, and online community. What is dwarfism? It means to be short in stature. Typically the average height for someone with this condition is: four feet, ten inches or less. Because there are several different health conditions that are link to dwarfism so this condition is broken down into 2 catogories. Disproportionate dwarfism. If body size is disproportionate, some parts of the body are small, and others are of average size or above-average size. Disorders causing disproportio

Interview with Rapper TW1TCH: Recovering addict, and advocate wants you to know we do overcome

"My doctor was my first Dealer." TW1TCH Authors Note: Addiction is one powerful battle. that being said, not everyone will become addicts because of pain pills. Some do not have a choice when taking them. Everyone is different, and struggle with different things in life. Whatever it is you can get to the other side of it. If you're struggling please don't be ashamed or afraid to reach out. We are not perfect; we are human. And it is more than okay to ask for help if you are in need of it. Founder, Jessica  Buffalo Native Stephen Fogarty, A.K.A TW1TCH, Recovering Opioid addict. L8 Productions/ The indie Visuals/ Hip-hop artist with a message that you can come out of the other side of addiction. Traveling across the country to you get the message of recovery out. He has performed at Buffalo at Music Of Art. Twitch recently celebrated 3 years of sobriety, and for him, making music reminds him that people are listening and that he is not alone in his journey