Skip to main content

How Keely Messino Wheels Through The "Real World."






Please introduce yourself, what do you do, and what your disability is if you feel comfortable? 
Hi so I’m Keely,  I have cerebral palsy which affects,  not only in the usage of my lens but also my visual processing skills and some of my  ability to pick up on social interactions. 


- What do you think is different now concerning resources for adults with disabilities when it comes to regaining or keeping their independence V.S. when you were younger and the resources were more than what they are? 

A. I'm really not sure I think when I was younger  things were handled differently because  I went to public school and so the the reality was that I was given therapy I was given counseling when I needed it and I was given new wheelchair whenever I needed one. I also had braces I got those. when I was younger I remember  being pulled out of class multiple times  so that I could be fitted for new wheelchair or new braces.  now that isn't like that and I don't know if maybe the laws have changed or my needs have changed so much that it almost seems like we have to jump through hoops  a lot more.  I was a child so there may have been things that I didn't understand in regards to that as well 

- What have you learned about the approach that adults without disabilities handle or look at people with disabilities who are on the journey to employment/or getting their first place?  

A. For me I had a few kind of low stakes jobs,In the past.  I think it kind of depends on the person, I will say that I thoughts like I was out of place different points.  but I think how a person look at is basically dependent on the management.  I've had a few jobs where I was treated very well. I've had some jobs where I was treated as if I were just in the way.   and just like with anything else ignorance is a very toxic thing that a lot of people unfortunately  suffer from.  it's on management to treat people well regardless of their differences or similarities to another person. 



 What are some tricks or tips you have learned that help you in your journey to help you find employment and your first home all on your own? 

A. As far as employment is concerned I recently spoke with my neurologist,  about what it would be like trying to find full-time employment with a disability  so that I was able to maintain health insurance.  and the best way to go About that is to get internships.   I'm currently interning with a company called Seattle web search, and just like it any other type of educational experience I have medical modifications so if I have to go to the hospital one day or something that's not a problem.  I'm intimidated by the idea of living on my own I've never lived alone before But I am slowly learning that there are a lot of programs out there that will modify a home or give  someone who needs them the opportunity to be able to pursue programs.  there are grants out there for people with traumatic brain injuries like mine and they'll help you to modify your house, your kitchen your bathroom to make it a safe living environment and make it so you can cook your own meals and you don't need help  in the shower, the same Grant can also give a person and need home health care or a ride to work/ school. 


- What tips or tricks did you find out did not work out on your journey to find employment and your first place? 

A. I have found a lot Of help  through the organization Catholic Charities. this isn't just a religious organization this is a charity and they are more than willing to help people from all walks of life we need them,  to be honest I had my doubts when I went to speak to the Catholic Charities people but so glad I did. 
- What advice would you give young adults with disabilities that are about to embark on the same journey you are on now? 


A. First and foremost I think the younger you are the harder it can actually be on their self esteem and there's people out there that are just not going to understand what you're going through whether it's physical or mental emotional they're just not going to get it and it's okay.   every college and job opportunity that is going to be different as far as their ADA compliance so really look into it ask questions do research if you have a  case manager a teacher, that you can talk to or a friend or family member who can help you embark on a task even if it's just for emotional

support.  just please do your research before enrolling in college finding a job because you want to make sure it's somewhere you can thrive. 

- What has been the biggest lesson you've learned about yourself in this new chapter of your life?  

A. I know this might sound strange to people but I felt for a long time like I was indebted to God to do something important with my life because I wasn't supposed to live so being alive I felt like I had to do something  selfless and wonderful.   I was going to school to be a hospice care worker because I wanted to make other people feel comfortable and happy give them their dignity because I felt I would be doing Something Noble and something that would prove to God that he made the right decision and letting me live.  but when I became a writer I think so much more of my wife opened up and  I can still help people through my writing and my art in a different kind of way.  I think in a way learning to put myself first was probably the most important thing that I learned because I'm happier and I'm doing better so I know now that in this state of mind I can help others  by being a good person by being a voice for people who need one. 

- What has been the most frustrating thing have experienced since starting this new journey toward your independence?  

A. for me that answers kind of a two-part answer, it almost feels like a never-ending cycle I feel I'm always in somebody's office, I'm always on the phone with somebody and then nothing happens.  it's a very difficult thing and the other thing is that people don't understand that like I've had people in my own family and friend groups telling me that you know I just want to live with my parents forever. or I just want to have a job for 3 months out of the year. People Choose to think  I must be somehow choosing  to be in this position. The very difficult thing to hear especially when you are constantly trying to get the attention of someone who can help you to know about 

- What has been the most rewarding thing you have experienced since starting your journey toward your independence? 

A. To be honest I think,  it's hard to watch people around you finding their way and if you're not feeling like you're doing enough it  can wear on you.  well, I recently started An internship and I'm doing well.  I also know that I was a writer I'm improving and I think knowing that my career path is coming together because I found my strength is amazing.  to put it bluntly in knowing I'm not worthless knowing there's a purpose for me.  that's been the part that's most rewarding 


- what would you want to tell those in the employment and real-estate fields to consider with future buyers and employers who find themselves stumped on how to approach or deal with someone who has a disability or disabilities? 

A. Like anyone else someone who has a disability of any kind is going to need a job or a home that suits them so you need to be able to interact with someone on an honest and personal level it's not about your profit it's about that person being comfortable and safe and happy because to be honest if someone isn't comfortable say for happy and you've employed them were you sold them a home or apartment you've going to do service and that's on you you need to make sure that  the needs of another person come first.   Ingenuity in research is always important  working together to find the right place to live the right job is important finding the right boss the right real estate agent is  extremely valuable 



Photos are by unspash.com and pixels.com






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Silent Migraine: One Of Several Different Types Of Headaches/Migraines. Can You Or Someone You Know Relate?

Silent Migraine Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional of any kind. The following information was found at the follow sites. National Headache Foundation, Migraines.com, Allaboutvision.com, Pinterest, and Verywell.com. If you or someone you know, is believed to be having any of the following symptoms please, consult with your doctor ASAP. I also strongly discourage self-diagnosing. When I first launched the abler, i asked people what subjects/topics they'd like to see me cover and one of the first ones was migraines. And as you can imagine, several terms and types came up in my search.One of them being silent migraine. While doing my research, I came a list of different types of headaches and mi

New Monthly Topic For April Dwarfism

April’s Topic For The Abler Blog: Dwarfism Resource: Mayoclinic.org Author Note: I am in no a professional of any kind. I am strongly against self-diagnosis, and encourage my audience to please seek the professional advice of their own trusted medical professional and any other trusted professional depending on the topic at hand. The Abler Blog ONLY PROVIDES LIMITED GENERAL INFORMATION, and ALWAYS CITES WHERE THEY FIND THEIR RESOURCES AND OR INFORMATION. Jessica Niziolek, Founder Of The Abler Blog, and online community. What is dwarfism? It means to be short in stature. Typically the average height for someone with this condition is: four feet, ten inches or less. Because there are several different health conditions that are link to dwarfism so this condition is broken down into 2 catogories. Disproportionate dwarfism. If body size is disproportionate, some parts of the body are small, and others are of average size or above-average size. Disorders causing disproportio

Interview with Rapper TW1TCH: Recovering addict, and advocate wants you to know we do overcome

"My doctor was my first Dealer." TW1TCH Authors Note: Addiction is one powerful battle. that being said, not everyone will become addicts because of pain pills. Some do not have a choice when taking them. Everyone is different, and struggle with different things in life. Whatever it is you can get to the other side of it. If you're struggling please don't be ashamed or afraid to reach out. We are not perfect; we are human. And it is more than okay to ask for help if you are in need of it. Founder, Jessica  Buffalo Native Stephen Fogarty, A.K.A TW1TCH, Recovering Opioid addict. L8 Productions/ The indie Visuals/ Hip-hop artist with a message that you can come out of the other side of addiction. Traveling across the country to you get the message of recovery out. He has performed at Buffalo at Music Of Art. Twitch recently celebrated 3 years of sobriety, and for him, making music reminds him that people are listening and that he is not alone in his journey