Skip to main content

Success No Matter What You're Given In Life: An Interview With Gabriella Greco

Hi everyone ! I am so excited to share the following interview with you! Gabriella, has lived a life full of triumph, and challenge...And she does it all by staying true to herself, and on her own terms. The following piece has been something that has been in progress for a year, but so worth the wait! And I find the timing to be perfect, considering that march is Cerebral Palsy Awareness month. Gabriella, is the perfect shining example of what it looks like to breakdown and crush the public's perspective on what Disability should be and look like to the general public, and to society overall. Thank you Gabriella, for sharing your point of view, insight, and some of your personal struggles so honestly and openly with the abler. It is a honor to know, and call such a person like yourself a friend and fellow CP (cerebral Palsy) fighter. If you'd like you can check out Gabriella's beautiful talent for singing on youtube. Just type her name in the search box on all social media links. Happy Reading everyone. I hope you enjoy it has much as I did when working with Gabriella on this interview. Be well, Founder/Writer Jessica 1: You seem like an old soul. How do you stay true to yourself, and your goals in such a technology driven world? It has not been a strong point of mine. I humbly admit. That being said, most recently, like, in the past three weeks is when I really have started to gain confidence within myself. The “defining” moment for me happened after watching marathon swimmer, author, motivational speaker, journalist, Diana Nyad on an episode of Oprah’s “Super Soul Sunday.” I then watched her documentary, “The Other Shore” - chronicling her remarkable journey. With Oprah, She spoke of her harrowing experience of swimming 111 miles from Cuba to Key West. Four failed attempts…defeat of death TWICE after being stung by the Box Jellyfish, etc, etc… One thing that was UNSHAKABLE was her steadfast BELIEF. It can only be described as (almost) superhuman. That moment did something to me. She kicked me in the ass, and stirred my soul ten fold. She’s helped me reignite my spirit, and “Find A Way” to my “other shore.” She gave me a true gift…and I will be eternally grateful. I am hopeful that I can help someone as she has helped me, because, who are we here for if not for each other? Oh, AND, (shameless plug!) In learning more about Diana, I discovered her recent endeavor called EverWalk…of which, I am a proud member of her EverWalk Nation. For me, EverWalk has become so much more than a pledge to walk three times a week…so much more than a movement to stomp out nationwide diabetes and obesity. It has given me confidence in my legs. It has helped me to remain focused both physically, and mentally. It has become a metaphor for “walking through” all of the pain, defeat, rejection, etc…EverWalk is literally a way of life, and I encourage all to get involved in whatever seems most appropriate to their life. It’s an opportunity to connect with community. Make new friends, and find you way back to “self”. For more information you can visit: www.EverWalk.com and/or visit Diana’s social media platforms. 2: (Part 1.) Since cyber bullying wasn't as known when we were born,as is now is there anything you'd like to tell younger generations that they maybe experiencing now because of their disability? (Part 2.) Did you have a moment growing up where you thought, "By the I am 20 something, things will be so different for me." (part 3.) If yes, what is one negative, and one positive thing you can take away as life long lessons? Cyberbullying is disgusting and should not exist. I don’t like to shame, but it is shameful. Now, in today’s day and age, it’s more prevalent, and just…so, so, disheartening. I myself experienced the most vicious, malicious, cyber-bullying not too long ago. So atrocious, it shouldn’t even be given the satisfaction of being revisited. But, it happened. As far as lessons, I can’t mark any individual moments. I mean, I guess the moment with Diana Nyad…could serve as the positive. Regarding the negative, I guess…those who have bestowed any level of toxicity, have shown me EXACTLY the type of person I NEVER, EVER want to become. 3: What do you find more challenging as an adult with Cerebral Palsy, v.s. as when you were a kid? As an adult, I feel that there is much more of an awareness to my “difference”…whereas, when I was a little girl, it never really was in the forefront of my mind. I mean, in school, sure. It’s a different animal when you’re older. 4: Recently, the phrase, "you're an inspiration." has been circulating on social media, with the disability community want to "veto" it. Saying it's patronizing to someone with a disability. What are your thoughts on this? I believe it absolutely can become patronizing. 100%. Sometimes I think people don’t really know how to react to someone with cerebral palsy, and let their fear get the best of them, don’t ask questions, or engage, so…it’s easier to just say something like, “Oh…You’re such an inspiration.” Kind of like, “Oh…you’re SO cute!!” Or…”awww…bless your heart”. In those instances, I would rather someone just tell me to go EFF myself. HOWEVER, when it is used in the correct context, it can be very empowering. Very beautiful. 5: I've watched your videos, you're incredibly talented. Do you have any plans to seriously pursue a career in the performing arts? Oh, really?!?!? Thank you so much!!! Yay! I have fans!!! LOL! I have ALWAYS wanted to take the Broadway stage by storm. And, who knows? Maybe I still will. I do have a background in Musical Theater, and there really isn’t anything that beats the feeling of a live audience, so again, you never know. Maybe there’s a cabaret show in there somewhere as well. :-) 6: What do you think society,and the general public should take away from the disability community as a whole? That we are NOT our “disability” we have solid minds. We’re vibrant. We’re funny. We’re talented. That’s not because we have cerebral palsy, either. Talk to us. Ask questions. Engage. Don’t be afraid. 7: What is the message you'd like to send out to the world? I struggled with answering this question and found myself coming back to it time and time again with really no resolve. If that makes sense? That being said, I think the answer to this became clear just last night. I was giving a pep-talk to a friend of mine who also happens to have C.P. and…the message is, I am NOT my cerebral palsy, it is just a part of me. I have a solid mind, and have and continue to lead an incredibly full-life. Not all of those who have CP are as fortunate (I mean that in the most respectful way possible), and so, for those of us who are on the more “mild end of the spectrum”, I think it’s so important to use what has been a gift given to us to educate and to be the voice for those who may not have one. I also want to encourage the “general public” to stop staring, and/or, being afraid to approach “us” beyond the “first glance” that we are so often met with in having cerebral palsy. Yes, our bodies may be crooked, or slower than the average, but nine times out of ten, our minds are vibrant. Talk to us. Ask questions. We won’t bite. 8: Do you have any kind of "routine" that you do if you find yourself in a "funk" or bad mood do to a bad experience you've had  with your c.p. or in general? YES. For me. music has always been my “go-to”. Especially, if I have a bad moment in relation to my C.P. Seeing as I am a creature of habit, I fancy Celine Dion, Bonnie Raitt, and Judy Garland the most. Definitely, Judy Garland. I either will put on one of their records, and sing along, or thanks to the gift of YouTube, I look up them “live”. That allows me to decompress and be brought back to “self,” Most recently however, I have found that same “solace” in watching TEDTalks. My current favorite is the one Diana Nyad gave called, “Never, Ever, Give Up.” Anyone reading this, definitely look it up! 9: (Part1.) What do you do for a career now? I am currently unemployed, but my most recent career endeavor was overseeing daily operations, social media, etc…for a non-profit organization on Martha’s Vineyard. Previous to that, I served as an account manager in New York City, at an esteemed celebrity public relations firm. (part 2.) Do you fund it harder to accomplish your career goals not just with the current state of the economy, but that you have to prove yourself more because of the fact that it just so happens that you have a physical disability,and a woman? This is interesting, because I don’t think it has anything to do with the economy. At least, in my case. Any challenges met in the “workplace” (there HAVE been challenges, believe me.), unfortunately have fallen under the umbrella of my cerebral palsy. As sad as it sounds, it’s the truth. Unfortunately, some people still feel the need to “make fun” and judge, etc…because they really don’t know, and are too afraid to ask, or…want to make themselves feel better, so they “belittle behind closed doors”…thinking that, “Oh, they’ll never know, because they have cerebral palsy, and are naive.” Which, now, makes me laugh, because in actuality, we’re usually 17 steps ahead. That said however, it doesn’t lessen the blow, or emotional pain, when reality hits. On the flip side of this, you do have people involved who see you for who you truly are. Regardless or being a woman, or having cerebral palsyy. Those (and that) are what you should focus on, and forgive those who have chosen to react in the latter way. 10: From your prospective, what is it like being treated as someone with a disability v.s. being treated "normally"? There is DEFINITELY a perception shift when I let people know that I have cerebral palsy. Sometimes, I wish I didn’t, but then I remind myself, “Hey, ya know what, these are the cards you’ve been dealt. You have cerebral palsy. So freaking what. Okay. Now “they” know. Your ability and performance and delivery are not less. If anything, use this “reveal” to “fuel your fire” to perform even greater. It’s a gift that only you, and you alone can claim. Don’t make a big deal, and others won’t. Speak your truth, encourage those who are unsure TO engage, to ask questions. Include them.” We are all in this together after all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Silent Migraine: One Of Several Different Types Of Headaches/Migraines. Can You Or Someone You Know Relate?

Silent Migraine Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional of any kind. The following information was found at the follow sites. National Headache Foundation, Migraines.com, Allaboutvision.com, Pinterest, and Verywell.com. If you or someone you know, is believed to be having any of the following symptoms please, consult with your doctor ASAP. I also strongly discourage self-diagnosing. When I first launched the abler, i asked people what subjects/topics they'd like to see me cover and one of the first ones was migraines. And as you can imagine, several terms and types came up in my search.One of them being silent migraine. While doing my research, I came a list of different types of headaches and mi

New Monthly Topic For April Dwarfism

April’s Topic For The Abler Blog: Dwarfism Resource: Mayoclinic.org Author Note: I am in no a professional of any kind. I am strongly against self-diagnosis, and encourage my audience to please seek the professional advice of their own trusted medical professional and any other trusted professional depending on the topic at hand. The Abler Blog ONLY PROVIDES LIMITED GENERAL INFORMATION, and ALWAYS CITES WHERE THEY FIND THEIR RESOURCES AND OR INFORMATION. Jessica Niziolek, Founder Of The Abler Blog, and online community. What is dwarfism? It means to be short in stature. Typically the average height for someone with this condition is: four feet, ten inches or less. Because there are several different health conditions that are link to dwarfism so this condition is broken down into 2 catogories. Disproportionate dwarfism. If body size is disproportionate, some parts of the body are small, and others are of average size or above-average size. Disorders causing disproportio

Interview with Rapper TW1TCH: Recovering addict, and advocate wants you to know we do overcome

"My doctor was my first Dealer." TW1TCH Authors Note: Addiction is one powerful battle. that being said, not everyone will become addicts because of pain pills. Some do not have a choice when taking them. Everyone is different, and struggle with different things in life. Whatever it is you can get to the other side of it. If you're struggling please don't be ashamed or afraid to reach out. We are not perfect; we are human. And it is more than okay to ask for help if you are in need of it. Founder, Jessica  Buffalo Native Stephen Fogarty, A.K.A TW1TCH, Recovering Opioid addict. L8 Productions/ The indie Visuals/ Hip-hop artist with a message that you can come out of the other side of addiction. Traveling across the country to you get the message of recovery out. He has performed at Buffalo at Music Of Art. Twitch recently celebrated 3 years of sobriety, and for him, making music reminds him that people are listening and that he is not alone in his journey