Skip to main content

A personal look into Cerebral Palsy

Hi Everyone! For my next blog post I wanted to do a personal look into what it was like to be a teenager, young adult with Cerebral Palsy. So, a former student of one of my grade school teachers, Julianan, who Is a 17 year old high school senior with Spastic Cerebral Palsy like myself generously offered to be interviewed. The following is the interview we did together. Enjoy everyone! And please feel free to share this with family and friends! The More you know; the more you grow. -Jessica !. What type of C.P. (cerebral palsy) do you have? And how does it effect you overall in dally life? 2. Can you take us through what a typical day is like for you? 3. Did you ever see yourself as "different" from your peers? And when did you come to the realization, and acceptance of being "different"? 4. When you're having a hard day, or "C.P. moment" as I like to call them. What do you do to release the stress? 5. You're 17, a senior in high school now, do you have any advice for younger kids entering high school with a disability? Anything you wish someone told you when you were in their position? 6.. Where do you see yourself in 10 years? What are your hopes and dreams for your future? 7.What's the one thing you want everybody to "get" about having a physical disability? 8. When did you have that "light bulb moment"? Where it really hit you? Like "hey, you know what I have cp. I may need to do things a little differently then everyone else but that's okay." 9. What is the biggest lesson that C.P. has taught you? 10. Do you have a favorite quote or lyric that you consider to be your mantra during the difficult moments? If yes, would you mind sharing what it is, and why it means so much to you? 1. The type of CP i have is Spastic Disglashyia . it affects my dally life because depending on how the day goes, i sometimes get muscle spasms in my back and legs-they feel like charlie horses but feel 3x worse when you have CP - i also have a daily routine i'm in mostly during the school year (i'll talk about that later on) 2. Well a typical day fir me is- i get up around 6- i have an aide that comes in the morning to get me ready for school. I go to school from 7:30 to 2 in the afternoon. i have another aide that comes in just to hang out and give me a shower (it's how i get showers during the week) i eat, unwind and go to bed to do it all over again . i also wear braces on my legs but can't wear them 90 degree or above weather because my legs will swell up and bubble. my right leg is short by half an inch because it never finished growing. 3. Yes, i sometimes do feel different since i have to modify everything i do. i don't like to be separated from a class and i like to be included in everything. I accepted the fact of being different after i got educated about my disability back in March 2015 - i'm at peace with it as of that day. 4. When i have a "CP moment" I sometimes have to release the stress by letting some tears come out- i'm usually ok afterwards 5. Well, you know juts be yourself. you may depending on how big the school is, i know know because the aide i have been working with the past 4 years, we were both idiots walking around .They had to give us a map of the school my Freshman year. I just wish someone could have guided us so we wouldn't get lost on first day of my Freshmen year. 6. In 10 years i see myself as a motivational speaker . everyone that knows me says i have a gift for public speaking when they hear me do presentations = this is my hope and dream for the future. 7. One thing everyone should get about having a disability is if you see someone like this don't treat them differently, treat them the way others without a disability want to be treated 8. Well like i said earlier in question 3, when i got educated i learned it's ok to have to do things differently. I also have an awesome group of people in and outside of school that are willing to help me out with anything 9. The biggest lesson, well stay humble and have a good attitude because it will inspire and leave a mark on people down the road . 10. Well, i have a favorite song, Fight Song by Rachael Platten. It's not just for anyone that goes through cancer, and i have to say, it's been s long journey for me but i fought through it. It wasn't for the amazing support system i had in my first two years of school, in that time period was when all the tough times hit i would not be molded into the women i am today ........those 2 years gave me, "My start"

Comments

  1. I love Juliana's positive attitude! The article was wonderful. It really gave me some insight into her daily life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you hun glad you liked yes i always have a positive attitude
    there's not one bad bone in my body

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a true inspiration My love...you have taught me so much!! I love you dearly! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a true inspiration My love...you have taught me so much!! I love you dearly! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your attitude, Juliana! So glad that you stay humble -- that's so important! I also love that everyone in your life seems so caring and supportive! And Fight Song is one of my favorites, too! It's so fitting for those of us who have CP -- we are fighters! Thank you for opening up and sharing your story with so many. So proud of you! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much Kelly proud of you as well!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Silent Migraine: One Of Several Different Types Of Headaches/Migraines. Can You Or Someone You Know Relate?

Silent Migraine Disclaimer: I am not a medical professional of any kind. The following information was found at the follow sites. National Headache Foundation, Migraines.com, Allaboutvision.com, Pinterest, and Verywell.com. If you or someone you know, is believed to be having any of the following symptoms please, consult with your doctor ASAP. I also strongly discourage self-diagnosing. When I first launched the abler, i asked people what subjects/topics they'd like to see me cover and one of the first ones was migraines. And as you can imagine, several terms and types came up in my search.One of them being silent migraine. While doing my research, I came a list of different types of headaches and mi

New Monthly Topic For April Dwarfism

April’s Topic For The Abler Blog: Dwarfism Resource: Mayoclinic.org Author Note: I am in no a professional of any kind. I am strongly against self-diagnosis, and encourage my audience to please seek the professional advice of their own trusted medical professional and any other trusted professional depending on the topic at hand. The Abler Blog ONLY PROVIDES LIMITED GENERAL INFORMATION, and ALWAYS CITES WHERE THEY FIND THEIR RESOURCES AND OR INFORMATION. Jessica Niziolek, Founder Of The Abler Blog, and online community. What is dwarfism? It means to be short in stature. Typically the average height for someone with this condition is: four feet, ten inches or less. Because there are several different health conditions that are link to dwarfism so this condition is broken down into 2 catogories. Disproportionate dwarfism. If body size is disproportionate, some parts of the body are small, and others are of average size or above-average size. Disorders causing disproportio

Interview with Rapper TW1TCH: Recovering addict, and advocate wants you to know we do overcome

"My doctor was my first Dealer." TW1TCH Authors Note: Addiction is one powerful battle. that being said, not everyone will become addicts because of pain pills. Some do not have a choice when taking them. Everyone is different, and struggle with different things in life. Whatever it is you can get to the other side of it. If you're struggling please don't be ashamed or afraid to reach out. We are not perfect; we are human. And it is more than okay to ask for help if you are in need of it. Founder, Jessica  Buffalo Native Stephen Fogarty, A.K.A TW1TCH, Recovering Opioid addict. L8 Productions/ The indie Visuals/ Hip-hop artist with a message that you can come out of the other side of addiction. Traveling across the country to you get the message of recovery out. He has performed at Buffalo at Music Of Art. Twitch recently celebrated 3 years of sobriety, and for him, making music reminds him that people are listening and that he is not alone in his journey